2.15.2008

I love Tenugui ( for Shash's textile week)

" Tenugui, or strips of dyed cooton cloth, have been traditionally used as towel, handkerchief , bandage or headgear, as situation required."
Quoted from
postcard book of tenugui designs from the Edo period

Here are some spreads from the book.










* * * * *

I picked up this fun illustration While I was in Kyoto. 8 different ways to use your tenugui.





I bought this tenugui with "hulu" (bottle gourd) pattern in Tortoise. They also sell them online.




Friends, have a nice weekend!!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those illustrations are adorable!

marie said...

wow! i love them..
a japanese friend gave me a tenugui when i visited her in tokyo last year..
i think its so beautiful having pieces of fabric to use for all sorts of things (like in the illustration!)
i might link this post to my blog, is that ok?

ashley said...

yes! tenugui is one of my favorite japanese traditions! function + beauty = love

Anonymous said...

i fell in love with tenugui last time i was in japan, and was sorry that i didn't buy many, many more. i discovered this company, which makes wonderful ones, while i was there on my trip: www.raak.jp. they make some fantastic designs, which you can browse on their website.

Esti said...

I'd never heard of tenugui before but sounds a fantastic idea! I love the patterns in this post, and so many other things in your blog. I keep finding new stuff to awe to. Thank you.

Manda said...

hello
last week while in japan i found a new love for tenugui too. i love them. i also brought home a little gourd lamp too. its cute.

Anonymous said...

情趣用品,跳蛋
情境坊歡愉用品
,跳蛋
情惑用品性易購
,按摩棒
情惑用品性易購
,性感睡衣
情趣用品
,跳蛋,按摩棒,視訊交友,免費視訊聊天,視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,視訊聊天.情人視訊網,免費視訊聊天室,視訊美女,辣妹視訊情趣用品,跳蛋
情境坊歡愉用品
,跳蛋
情惑用品性易購
,按摩棒
情惑用品性易購
,性感睡衣
情趣用品
,跳蛋,按摩棒,視訊交友,免費視訊聊天,視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,視訊聊天.情人視訊網,免費視訊聊天室,視訊美女,辣妹視訊